Monday, March 14, 2011

Abide

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."~Jesus (Matt. 11:28-29)

I am rereading Andrew Murray's "Abiding in Christ". So, that means I have yellow, green and orange highlights, underlining and comments in the margins. Love my coloring books! Wanted to share a few quotes from the chapter I read this morning...

"Rest for the soul...does it not imply deliverance from every fear, the supply of every want, the fulfillment of every desire?
...We know that all that God bestows needs time to become fully our own. It must be embraced, appropriated, and assimilated into our soul; without this not even Christ's giving can make it our own in terms of full experience and enjoyment.
...Entire surrender to Jesus is the secret of perfect rest. Giving up one's whole life to Him to rule and order, taking up His yoke, and allowing ourselves to be led and taught of Him, abiding in Him, to be and do only what He wills.
...This rest is in Christ, not something He gives apart from Himself, and so it is only in having Him that the rest can really be kept and enjoyed...The moment the soul yields itself to obey, the Lord Himself gives the strength and joy to do it.
...Consecration and faith, are the essential element of the Christian life-the giving up of all to Jesus, the receiving of all from Jesus...Surrender.
...Weary soul, come and learn this day the lesson that there is a spot where safety and victory, peace and rest, are always sure. That place, which is the heart of Jesus, is always open to you.
...Abiding in Jesus is nothing but the giving up of oneself to be ruled, taught, and led, enabling the disciple to rest in the arms of Everlasting Love."

Cool, huh?!

I really needed this today. My heart is a bit heavy. Would you three be praying for me, that I would experience the peace and rest that comes from abiding in Jesus? That I will be totally surrendered to Him? Thanks.

My prayer for you today, Nick, Ali and Greg, is that you are living in this moment-by-moment abiding in our Jesus and that you are experiencing the peace that passes understanding!

I love you,
oxo~Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment