Wednesday, October 12, 2011

People Magazine and Facebook

Yes, I admit it...Sometimes, when I am in a doctor's office (ours included) or on an airplane, I read, or really just look thru, People Magazine. I get glimpses into people's lives...I get to see photos of them at events, while on vacation, with their families...I can read about who is together with whom and who has broken up. Yes, sometimes I breeze thru People, gathering information on people with whom I have no connection, no interaction.

Anyway...back on track here...

Facebook... Your generation has their own use, and probably the intended use for Facebook. You all have 650, maybe 1000, maybe even 1500 fb friends. I don't know...Maybe you know these people, maybe you really care about what is going on in their lives...I don't know. And, maybe you have 1500 people who truly are interested in you! (I know I sure am!) Maybe you discover great, or funny, or insightful, or useful YouTube videos. Maybe you are more politically aware (or less) by viewing a link someone has posted.

I have decided...it doesn't work for me. I don't want to know all about some acquaintance, and even friends, without there ever being a connection. I don't want people knowing too much about me, without there being a connection, some interaction. I have been pushing buttons, particularly that "unfriend" one. You three know this about me...I want to know that people I am talking with want to be talking with me. :-)

Now, don't get me wrong...These people are still my friends. When I see them face-to-face, I will want them to share with me anything and everything they want to share about their lives, their kids, their jobs, their hobbies! If they have photos, I will want to see them! And, if they are interested, I will share with them. I will LOVE to connect with them!


Facebook is a weird thing...But, I love it! Here are some of the reasons why:

~Kim shares her and Kirk's lives from Cape Town!

~Lisa notifies us from Tanzania when she has a new post on her amazing blog!

~Even though I haven't seen Gayle or Lynn since our high school reunion, and I've seen very little of Jodie and Kim, I kind of know what's going on in their lives!

~Debbie posts beautiful photos of her kayak trips with Mike!

~I was able to be with Ruthie at Sam's (Ruth and Randy's beloved son) memorial service because on fb news travels quickly.

~I am learning about the kind of grandma I want to be, seeing and reading about Patty's adventure with Taylor!

~My neighbors share photos of their trips, their grandchildren, their celebrations!

~My nieces and nephews, sisters, some who live near us and some who don't, post great photos of friends, events, and Hank!

~My cousins, cousins' kids, and aunts in Ill. and Wisc. keep us, here in California, informed! Photos of Aunt Roselyn skydiving! Dave's cycle trip up to Alaska! Cousins' weekend at the cabin! Erik and Meaghan's wedding!

~The Olsons, the Byers, the Austins, the Garcias, the Douglas family...dear friends! And, I get to see even more of them because of fb!

~Even though I haven't met little August, I have seen him! Saw a video of him saying his first word, "Mama"!

~Your friends (and my friends!), Jamie, Jessi, Kristi, Natalie, Danielle, AJ, Keli, Maryann...I love glimpses of their lives, encouraging verses, fun pictures! (I originally had Kyle down, too, until I remembered that I had "unfriend"ed him. Don't tell.)

~Oh yeah...and...I love just one more way of connecting with you, Ali, in NYC...with you, Greg, out at Loma Linda...and, with you, Nick, way down at Pt. Loma!

oxo-Mom


ps~Okay...the truth is...I have fb stalked two people. And, no, I will not name names. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment